HPA

Scale Free Flight Forum => Scale, outdoor => Topic started by: alfakilo on Jul 06, 2026, 01:09 AM

Title: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Jul 06, 2026, 01:09 AM
First, I'm more of a builder than a flyer...and I tend to look for projects that are untypical, maybe even a bit weird at times. Such is the case with my next model.

This is an imagined Me262 with swept wings and conventional tail. It may have been on the drawing board at the end of the war but that's about it. No model to reference. No plan. Just some artist's idea of what may have been. And I'm converting it to prop power!

I'm still in the drafting stage, trying to figure out how to do this. Basically dime scale size. Here's some views of it.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: pb_guy on Jul 06, 2026, 02:41 AM
Welcome back! Interesting project. Take your time.
ian
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: TheLurker on Jul 06, 2026, 10:21 AM
Lovely project & I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.
Good luck!
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Jul 09, 2026, 03:05 PM
Making progress on sketching the details out. I'm using a keel method for the fuselage, the idea being that this will be easier given the small fuselage cross section. Wings and tail all pretty straight forward. Biggest issue now is figuring out the fuselage/engine nacelle relationship. I'm expecting the concave contours of the fuselage/nacelle joint to be a challenge. Top, bottom, and side keels made from laminated 1/16" stringers.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Jul 09, 2026, 06:51 PM
Quote from: alfakilo on Jul 09, 2026, 03:05 PMTop, bottom, and side keels made from laminated 1/16" stringers.

Building boards are 1" foam with a balsa sheet to hold pins. I have different sizes, very light and easy to move around during construction.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Jul 13, 2026, 07:39 PM
Having to exercise a bit of imagination given the lack of info on this WW2 project. The basic fuselage structure is set on a simple jig to align the wing attachment plates with the sides of the engine nacelles. Minus the nose spinner, fuselage length is approx 12".
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: dputt7 on Jul 14, 2026, 04:26 AM
   Nice work, are you going to add stringers for tissue covering or sheet the fuselage.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: Sky9pilot on Jul 14, 2026, 04:46 AM
AK, back at your usual planes.  I love this one.  I'd love to know where you found the pictures.  I'd like to do a plan at 27".  Love your approach to the fuselage engine fairings.  You're making great progress!  I'll be following this closely.  Getting the popcorn and soda to follow along.
Sky9pilot
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Jul 14, 2026, 05:23 AM
Quote from: dputt7 on Jul 14, 2026, 04:26 AMNice work, are you going to add stringers for tissue covering or sheet the fuselage.

Yes, to the fuselage and engine nacelles. Initially, the fuselage/engine nacelle formers were solid sheet balsa. I only added enough stringers to hold everything together so that I could hollow out the excess former wood. With that now done, I'll finish adding the remaining stringers.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Jul 14, 2026, 05:29 AM
Quote from: Sky9pilot on Jul 14, 2026, 04:46 AMI'd love to know where you found the pictures. 

http://wardrawings.be/
https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ww2planes/

Sometimes, I find neat stuff here:

http://www.airwar.ru
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: Spiros on Jul 14, 2026, 08:05 AM
Very useful links!

Thank you!
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: Sky9pilot on Jul 15, 2026, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the links AK!! ;D
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Jul 18, 2026, 08:26 PM
Starting to look like something! Slow work with all the stringers.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: Sky9pilot on Jul 18, 2026, 11:20 PM
You're showing your outstanding craftsmanship AK!  Looking great! 8)
Sky9pilot
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: dputt7 on Jul 19, 2026, 04:15 AM
 Looking great Nice work!
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: ramses on Jul 20, 2026, 04:48 PM
Very nice, love the choice of plane!

Cheers, Ramses
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Jul 24, 2026, 03:46 PM
I decided to attach the wings before covering, not what I usually do but this time I felt that the wing root geometry would be easier to cover if the wings were on. Also decided to handle the engine nacelle/fuselage joints with pieces of manila folder. I like this technique, stronger than bond paper and the color seems to blend in better with balsa. Fair amount of filler to smooth things out. I use Red Devil fast drying spackle for this.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: Sky9pilot on Jul 25, 2026, 12:32 AM
Nice AK, I like the manila folder as well.  I does look like balsa under the tissue.
This is going to look great.  Can't wait see it covered.
Sky9pilot
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Aug 03, 2026, 09:37 PM
Initial covering done. Esaki green on top, domestic light grey on the bottom. Spinner, canopy, and final touch ups to go.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: Piecost on Aug 04, 2026, 01:10 PM
Nice job!
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: Sky9pilot on Aug 05, 2026, 03:46 AM
Looks great AK!!
You going to add and further camo?
Sky9pilot
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Aug 06, 2026, 06:49 PM
Quote from: Sky9pilot on Aug 05, 2026, 03:46 AMYou going to add and further camo?

Probably not. I did order some darker tissue for a splinter type of camo scheme, my plan being to dope the tissue on to the model. Looks like too much work at this point. I'm ready to call it done! I do want to give it a toss to see if it will fly.

My next project will be to build the old Comet P-26 using the materials and methods that were used back then. I usually fiddle around with something because I'm not happy with the original but this time I hope I can put it together just like some kid back in the 30s would have done.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Aug 06, 2026, 11:26 PM
Pretty much done. Prop and motor to go. Motor mount is back across from the end of the engines, couldn't get it any further forward because of the fuselage/engine nacelles. Fun project, definitely a bit on the fringe of what we do.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: alfakilo on Aug 09, 2026, 05:08 AM
spinner and prop installed.
Title: Re: Next Project
Post by: Sky9pilot on Aug 09, 2026, 06:40 AM
Well done AK, showing off your skills again!  Probably an accurate color scheme for the end of the war anyway.
Sky9pilot