Today's find at Gutenberg. A contemporary biography of Roland Garros. Unfortunately for me I can't read French, but if you can you can find it here. (https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/79375/pg79375-images.html)
If you can read Dutch then you might find this (https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/79256/pg79256-images.html) interesting, especially if you're following Henk's Fokker F-VIIa thread. Even if you are a confirmed monoglot the pictures are worth a look.
French - okay
Dutch - a frayed knot
Thanks for the llinks, Lurk
Quote from: TheLurker on Aug 16, 2026, 07:44 PMIf you can read Dutch then you might find this (https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/79256/pg79256-images.html) interesting, especially if you're following Henk's Fokker F-VIIa thread.
Thanks Lurker - What a find - and coincidental timing too given the Fokker builds going on!
I don't know Dutch but I cheated and found a button that provides an English translation.
Def some good pics - and even includes a long shot of the KLM field where F.II H-NABC is parked (the one right in the middle in case the resolution is not enough to read) together with other F.II/F.IIIs and similar aircraft.
cheers
Tim
A wonderfull find, Lurk, that book on the flight to the Dutch East Indies. So many good pictures that a model F.VII of this first series is very possible! And an insightfull historical document too.
Pop quiz.
What's the connection between Amy Johnson, Sir Barnes Wallis and Vic Smeed?
Anyone saying, "Aeroplanes" will subject to a torrent of withering scorn. :)
Answer tomorrow if no-one gets it in the meantime.
Would it be modelling of real airplanes?
Tomboy?
Aeroplanes
Kent?. I think there arestatues to Barnes Wallace and Amy Jonson in Herne Bay but not sure about Vic Smeed??? But he is from Kent
Quote from: TheLurkerWhat's the connection between Amy Johnson, Sir Barnes Wallis and Vic Smeed?
Easy. They're all human beings. I claim my prize.
Stephen.
They're all Poms ;D
All three vegetarians and members of RAS
Quote from: nickhawkAll three vegetarians and members of RAS
I think you may have it. Wonderful Amy (or however the song went) was from oop north . . . This would be a good test of Google AI. 'Ask me anything', I think it says.
Stephen.
Quote from: Squirrelnet on Sep 19, 2026, 11:11 PMKent?. I think there are statues to Barnes Wallace and Amy Jonson in Herne Bay but not sure about Vic Smeed??? But he is from Kent
Close enough to the connection I was looking for, you win the virtual bar of chocolate.
The connection is Herne Bay, Vic Smeed was born there, and, as Chris says, there are statues of both AJ* & BN on the seafront. Ms Johnson was killed not far off shore on a ferry flight for the ATA and Sir Barnes went wading for
cockles bits of Upkeep at Reculver a mile or so along the coast.
Γιώργο!
*It's mounted at ground level and life size. She was v. petite. Sir Barnes' statue's on a plinth so it's difficult to judge.
Oh wow I love virtual chocolate, so much better for my waistline ;D