HPA

General Forum => In the Work Shop => Topic started by: pedwards2932 on Aug 26, 2026, 06:11 PM

Title: My next big experiment
Post by: pedwards2932 on Aug 26, 2026, 06:11 PM
As you may know I use a Cricut Maker for cutting out parts.  The Maker will also use pens to write.  I am going to try to use it to do panel lines on some silver tissue. If it works it would be waterproof unlike printing which is how I did it before. I just didn't want to buy a new Epson printer just for this.  I looked into used color laser printer but they are fairly large and I wouldn't have much other use for it.
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: Aerotrope on Aug 27, 2026, 06:09 AM
What are the thinnest and thickest lines available?
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: pedwards2932 on Aug 27, 2026, 06:18 PM
Depends on the pen you pick.  They have adapters so you don't need to use Cricut pens. I think the fine point sharpie will work.  I am going to try it on some white tissue just to see what it can do
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: pedwards2932 on Aug 27, 2026, 08:34 PM
Another thing that I thought of is you can set the Cricut to do offsets and it will fill in an outline.  That got me thinking I can add some markings as well.  Also you can get white pens which would be interesting because one of the failures with printing on colored tissue is printers don't print white they use the paper color for the white.  Black is no issue on colored tissue but any other color distorts.  I'm thinking just for some markings like a roundel you could use an undercoat of white pen and then draw over it. Not sure when I will get started because I have to order a pen holder so I don't have to rely on Cricut pens
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: lincoln on Aug 28, 2026, 05:08 AM
Suggest subtlety with panel lines. Light grey on silver, slightly darker colors on colored areas, etc. Or pencil lines before painting.
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: Crabby on Aug 30, 2026, 08:40 PM
I worked as a Graphics supervisor at a trade show company for 30 years. We used a Gerber Advantage system for cutting vector files.

I was always trying to hot rod the thing for modelling purposes. This Cricut craze seems like a lightweight version of the Gerber.

I would spray mount colored tissue to the vinyl and cut serial numbers for wings. The blade swiveled so circles came out perfectly.

I kind of like balsa butchering too much to let a robot have all the fun besides... no time clocks to punch! Blah blah blah
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: dputt7 on Aug 31, 2026, 04:47 PM
Quote from: Crabby on Aug 30, 2026, 08:40 PMI kind of like balsa butchering too much to let a robot have all the fun besides... no time clocks to punch! Blah blah blah
I'll second that Crabby!
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: pedwards2932 on Sep 01, 2026, 01:23 AM
My old hands don't have the dexterity for panel lines and I like futzing around with new ideas.  I am really interested to see if the white pens will do what I think they will.  I have tried doing panel lines on covered models and it was a disaster.  I tried printing on tissue and it works beautifully but I would have to buy a new printer to get any water proofing.  I already own the Cricut so worse that can happen is it doesn't work.  And spending 6 bucks on a pen holder.
 
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: Spiros on Sep 01, 2026, 08:14 AM
Quote from: pedwards2932 on Sep 01, 2026, 01:23 AMMy old hands don't have the dexterity for panel lines and I like futzing around with new ideas.  I am really interested to see if the white pens will do what I think they will.  I have tried doing panel lines on covered models and it was a disaster.  I tried printing on tissue and it works beautifully but I would have to buy a new printer to get any water proofing.  I already own the Cricut so worse that can happen is it doesn't work.  And spending 6 bucks on a pen holder.

I'm currenty printing some part over an inkjet. Is there a printer that prints water proofing printing?
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: TheLurker on Sep 01, 2026, 08:22 AM
Quote from: Spiros on Sep 01, 2026, 08:14 AM... Is there a printer that prints water proofing printing?
I believe Epson's Durabrite inks are waterproof, or at least very water resistant, as are their UltraChrome inks, but that's as much as I know. An expert on these matters will be along shortly...
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: Spiros on Sep 01, 2026, 08:49 AM
Thank you Lurk!
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: RolandD6 on Sep 01, 2026, 12:05 PM
Quote from: TheLurker on Sep 01, 2026, 08:22 AM
Quote from: Spiros on Sep 01, 2026, 08:14 AM... Is there a printer that prints water proofing printing?
I believe Epson's Durabrite inks are waterproof, or at least very water resistant, as are their UltraChrome inks, but that's as much as I know. An expert on these matters will be along shortly...

There are also a couple of Canon printers that use a highly water resistant ink. I have a GX1060 that uses the '55' set of inks. There is also a Maxify GX2060 that features an automatic double side scanner. Both printers will print double sided. I believe there is/was at least one other Canon printers that used this ink. Please note that there are/were a number of other Canon Maxify printers that do not use the water resistant ink.
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: Spiros on Sep 01, 2026, 04:09 PM
Thank you!!
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: dputt7 on Sep 01, 2026, 05:34 PM
I use a Cannon TS3660 Printer and use non genuine Cartridges and they are at least lightly water sprayed proof where my wife has the same printer and only uses Genuine cartridges and they are definitely not waterproof. I used hers to print a number on some tissue and when I went to water shrink it the number ran.
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: pedwards2932 on Sep 01, 2026, 06:22 PM
I have used both aftermarket and original still it bleeds pretty easy.  I have a technique using my airbrush for shrinking and it doesn't bleed the ink at all.  I seal with Krylon and if you get a drop of water on it then it bleeds....morning dew is disastrous. This P51 had couple drops get on it and ruined the looks. 
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: pedwards2932 on Sep 01, 2026, 06:23 PM
Interesting about the Canon as that's what I have but it is a Pixma model 8500 don't think it would use that type of ink.  I had an Epson that used Durabrite and it was essentially waterproof once you sealed it.  It was also prone to clogging if you didn't use it regularly which I didn't and the ink was expensive.  I had looked at laser printers and you can get them used pretty cheap but they are fairly large and I have some space restraints.  But the laser wouldn't suffer from sitting up for long periods.  I have the Cricut and the experiment won't cost much to try just need the pen holder.  The ability to "print" white is intriguing as it would allow me to use colored tissue. I had also saw where someone prepainted raw tissue to get the exact color and it still shrinks okay.
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: Spiros on Sep 01, 2026, 08:15 PM
I recently used, or better use, printed Asuka for a Fokker DVIII, I'm preparing.

The only thing I'm missing is the water shrinking that it is somehow done with pure alcohol.

Magically, the ink is not affected at all by the alcohol.

It does the job but not as good as the water. Therefore, I would love to have such a printer.
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: Crabby on Sep 02, 2026, 01:46 AM
Spiros . If you leave the cap off of an alcohol bottle or jar, the air combines with it and the water content increases you can try this as an experiment and see what tomorrow brings.
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: pedwards2932 on Sep 02, 2026, 02:34 AM
If you have an airbrush, I have used one to shrink using water. It atomizes so well the ink didn't run at all. I was able to do that on my P51 with no issues
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: Stunthenk on Sep 02, 2026, 10:33 AM
In the Netherlands you can buy 70% alcohol at a chemist. Perhaps the 30% water gives just the right mix?
Title: Re: My next big experiment
Post by: Spiros on Sep 02, 2026, 10:44 AM
Dear all,

Many thanks for your replies!! Will definitely, try all of them!