Welcome to HPA. Please login or sign up.

Members
  • Total Members: 357
  • Latest: ChrisH
Stats
  • Total Posts: 6,179
  • Total Topics: 438
  • Online today: 38
  • Online ever: 327 (Aug 12, 2026, 05:28 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 27
  • Total: 28
  • lincoln

Recent topics

Fokker F.VIIa

Started by Stunthenk, Aug 07, 2026, 04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Prosper


Stunthenk

Indeed 1956. After the plane had been delivered from Denmark, it was refurbished and repainted by Fokker.
The first picture shows how  it looked when it was ferried, the second picture as it came out of the Fokker paintshop.
l24213.jpg0062+F.VIaI - serie+38-1920w.jpg

Stunthenk

While surfing the net in search of more info on the F.VIIa I found a building report by a Dutch modeller who scratch built a static (non flying) model. It featured very nice burnishing on the nose panels. The builder explained that he used aluminium tape, and made the marks with a small brass wire brush in an electric drill. So I went to a hardware store and bought a 5 cc. wide roll of aluminum tape. 10 meters long, if it works I can build the entire pre-war Fokker fleet. But the smallest cup shaped wire brush I know still has a diameter of 8 mm., so I dug up the small length of 2 mm pianowire with a 2 mm disc of 600 grit sandpaper glued to an end that I made earlier. I clamped that in my Dremel, and well, well! simply briefly touching the tape with the spinning bit produced nice marks! I made a test piece, cut the tape to size for a side panel, removed the backing and the tape allowed itself to be smoothed to the balsa witout losing the marks and without any wrinkles. Of course, the metal panels on the F.VII nose are flat or have a simple curvature. For a double curvature I don't know if you could apply the tape without wrinkles. And applying the marks is mind numbing work....
Still, the aluminium coloured tissue will be removed from the nose, and burnished tape will be applied as the last step before assembling the model.
First picture: the static model; second picture: the burnished tape test piece.
IMG_4211.jpgIMG_6019.JPG

Piecost

The ali tape is mallible enough to conform to a double curved surface if burnished down with a plastic spatular. This requires a smooth, hard surface or you will crush grooves into the surface.  It is best to experiment on a trial part first.

I would cover the nose in tissue and seal it well. You can afford the increase mass on the nose. Any texture, such as unfilled grain may be picked up by the tape if it is not smooth

Stunthenk

The build is progressing slowly because of the many details. Balsa struts have been added to the L/G wires. The Jupiter cylinders I discarded have been giving a new life with thinner thread simulating the cooling fins and more accurate details. The black tissue front fuselage has been masked and airbrushed Tamiya gloss black and the dividing line between the black and the blue tissue applied with a gold Molotov marker. Wheels have been turned from balsa discs on a drill press. The first sections of burnished alu tape have been applied to the sides of the nose and thin alu control horns have been added to the tailplanes. The wing has received two coats of dope.

Stunthenk

Because of the many details the project advances slowly, but fortunately in a steady pace. The wing has received two coats of dope, and because the cockpit of these Fokker types extended into the leading edge of the wing, a cutout was made in the bottom LE sheeting. The fin and rubber were seperated and hinged with two small pieces of aluminum beercan material (for the Brits: an Old Speckled Hen can) and the fin glued in place. The horizontal tail surfaces received struts on the bottom and silk thread resembling wires at the top.
The entire top and sides of the nose have been covered with burnished alu tape. The right hand bottom 'streamline fairing' (I don't think it does that) is represented by the odd shaped piece of thin balsa sheeting awaiting its piece of tape; the second picture also shows the Dremel with the short length of 2 mm pianowire topped with a punched out disc of 600 grit wet & dry sandpaper; as well as the piece of paper with the discs missing. Finally the roll of alu tape waiting to be burnished; the yellow colouring is a reflection of the tissue on the wing. Unfortunately the nose block is still devoid of Jupiter cylinders....
IMG_6038.JPG
IMG_6037.JPG

cvasec

Excellent choice of beer.
Ron

Jmk89

Quote from: cvasec on Oct 02, 2026, 11:47 PMExcellent choice of beer.
Ron
I agree - excellent drop
All the best
Jeremy

Better drowned than duffers, if not duffers won't drown