Welcome to HPA. Please login or sign up.

Members
  • Total Members: 357
  • Latest: ChrisH
Stats
  • Total Posts: 6,217
  • Total Topics: 439
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 327 (Aug 12, 2026, 05:28 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 31
  • Total: 31

Recent topics

Moth Major for CO2

Started by g_kandylakis, Sep 07, 2026, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

g_kandylakis

thanks...

Yes, but not gussets. Internal reinforcements.

ZIP.58

What do you use for these internal reinforcements?
Carbon fiber?

Peter

g_kandylakis

Hi Peter,

I imagine you are talking about the last picture. IT is the wing of my Sopwith Batboat.

Here is a picture of the top center section of same.

I would not call them reinforcements although that is their purpose. They are part of the spars which are a sandwich of carbon strips top and bottom CAed to a balsa core.

Initial dimension of the carbon strips is 3,0x0,15mm. Final width depends on the required spar width.

They add quite a lot of stifness and some eweight of course.

g_kandylakis

The Moth Major has also progressed a bit. I hit an obstacle with the fuselage, it needs some intense building and improvising to install the CO2 equipment and I am not feeling up to it at the moment, so I thought I 'd finish the tail instead and thereby the complete wooden structure.

Frames are 1,5mm thick, laminated outlines 3x0,5mm. Some rather sharp curves so plenty of soaking.

Stab was done in two pieces, glued together in the middle.

g_kandylakis

When the basic frame was finished, I added extra pieces, 1mm thick, on either side, to make a symmetrical airfoil section, 3,5mm in the middle, 1,5mm at the outlines.

In the first pictures the frame is still on the building board, so only the left side could be added. When dry, the other side was also glued.

Other two pictures show the finished sanded result. Spiros asked how to do this, so I am showing it for him...

The horizontal tail is under construction now.

Chances for completion before 12th November are very slim now but I am building on anyway. I guess it will be the PZL 24 again for IIFI...

George