Welcome to HPA. Please login or sign up.

Members
  • Total Members: 357
  • Latest: ChrisH
Stats
  • Total Posts: 6,174
  • Total Topics: 438
  • Online today: 42
  • Online ever: 327 (Aug 12, 2026, 05:28 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 19
  • Total: 19

Recent topics

VMC Fokker D.VIII Co2

Started by Spiros, Sep 09, 2026, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Spiros

Since some months ago, I wanted to give it a try on the Co2. As I'm new to this, I chose a kit from VMC, the Fokker D.VIII.

Obviously, I had to make alot of changes to mount the Co2 (Telco btw) and have a more scale approach, in order to participate on the IIFI 2026 on the Open Scale Co2 cat.

The most difficult part of all was the covering. As it had to be the Polish No 1 (187/18) E.V. with the pilot Stephan Stec, the only method I knew and could follow is the printed Asuka.

At this task, I got the help of my dear friend Alex Dalidis, who is a graphics artist and he prepared all necessary marking, based on Mike Stuart's Lozenge pattern.

The airplane is not yet finished, but hopefully, will make it by mid of October, so first flight (if it flies) will be in IIFI.

Some pics (not many) from the so far progress

Spiros

With the covering. Printed Asuka was a nightmare to shrink. I only used pure alcohol after leaving the tissue a couple of days to dry completely. Then I apply 50/50 nitro dope

Spiros

P.S. I have to apologise for the quality of the pics, however they were downloaded from HEIC and converted to jpg. Obviously the pics need to comply with the file size accepted

Squirrelnet

Great build Spiros, I love the printed tissue covering it works very well

Spiros

Thank you!

As I said to some friends, it looks good.............from a distance...........in the dark......

Printed tissue was the most difficult part of all the construction. To apply it and then shrink was challening.

Piecost

Spiros,

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the tissue. But, the end result is spectacular. Can I ask what printer.and ink did you use?

Spiros

Thank you so much!

The printer is the HP Deskjet Ink advantage 3835 and I used the standard original ink of the printer. Not sure if I could replace them with something that could be water resistant.


Spiros

Here is the final result of the wing. Currently waiting for the 24h drying of the dope covering.

Spiros


Promised to George, I will post more pics of the building process during he weekend.

For now, it's just the first engine run!

I now pray that it flies..... ;D

ZIP.58

Spiros, great model and engine sound. I hope your prayers are answered. The way it looks, this model is bound to fly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you....
Peter

MockwingF

Hi Spiros,

What a great model! I wish you the very best of luck with the trimming and test flights. It would be fantastic to see it flying as well as it looks.

Looking forward to hearing about the first successful flights!

Best regards,
 Markus

Spiros

Thank you so much!

First flights will be in IIFI 2026, hopefully!

Jmk89

Quote from: Spiros on Oct 01, 2026, 08:05 AMThank you so much!

First flights will be in IIFI 2026, hopefully!

Spiros

You have a month or so until the IIFI.  It might be a good idea to start trimming it before then :-[
All the best
Jeremy

Better drowned than duffers, if not duffers won't drown

Spiros

Many thanks Jeremy,

However, the gym we are currently using is rather narrow/tight and would not endager any flight there.

George also said it's better to try it in IIFI. The airplane is balanced to the proposed balance point, so I'll take my chances!

Stunthenk

Well, if George okays the initial trim settings, you should do fine at the IIFI!